|Chadwell Heath Cemetery||Barking & Dagenham|
Chadwell Heath Cemetery opened in 1934, provided by Dagenham UDC, with the first burial recorded on 1 June. At that time the area either side of Whalebone Lane was rural and initially only the eastern part of the cemetery was laid out with paths, open land remaining to the west. From the entrance a short drive led to the Mortuary Chapel from where a formal layout of paths radiated, with yews planted along the 'spokes'. Further paths formed a semi-circle with the chapel on its eastern edge, the circle completed when the burial ground was extended to the west. The cemetery has been further extended, most recently to the north.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Chadwell Heath Cemetery with Chapel, January 2000. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
The cemetery was established by Dagenham Urban District Council and opened in 1934, with the first burial recorded on 1 June that year. At that time it was an isolated location and most of the surrounding area was in agricultural use either side of Whalebone Lane with a few properties shown on C19th maps whose names persist today, such as Warren, Roselane and Padnall Farms. A few houses clustered at Marks Gate to the north including Furze House and Furze Cottage, and to the south was the moated site of Marks Hall. Initially only the eastern part of the cemetery adjacent to Whalebone Lane was laid out, the remainder at that time was still fields. From the entrance a short drive leads to the Mortuary Chapel, from where a formal layout of paths radiates, with yews planted along the 'spokes'. Further paths formed a semi-circle with the chapel on its eastern edge, the circle completed when the burial ground was extended over land to the west.
The cemetery was laid out by the Borough Engineer and Surveyor Thomas Philip Francis, whose chapel is a rather austere red brick building with stone cladding, its Art Deco style echoed in the entrance gate with piers and an iron screen to the road. The OS of 1939 shows 3 drinking fountains. The cemetery was extended to the west by the 1960s and an area to the north was developed c. 2008 to provide new burial space after the cemetery became full and unable to accommodate new burials. There is a war memorial to the north, a children's section and a Garden of Rest for cremated remains in the south east.
James Howson 'A Brief History of Barking & Dagenham' (LBBD Libraries Dept, 6th ed 1990); Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer' 4th edition (The History Press), 2008