|Eastbrookend Cemetery||Barking & Dagenham|
The cemetery was laid out in c1914 by a private company, with the first burial recorded in 1916. There is a brick chapel, but the cemetery lodge has since been demolished. It was purchased in 1958/60 by Dagenham Borough Council and renamed Eastbrook End Cemetery. It is now within the new Eastbrookend Country Park. It is unusual in having an apiary in the grounds.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The cemetery was laid out in 1914 by a private company, its brick chapel and lodge (since demolished) completed by September of that year, probably designed by architect John Bannen, who also designed the chapels of Surbiton Cemetery and Streatham Park Cemetery and South London Crematorium (q.q.v.). A local enquiry had been held in 1912 into siting the new cemetery here, which was initially known as Becontree Park Cemetery, then Ilford Park Cemetery. The first burial is recorded in 1916. An area of four acres was consecrated by the Bishop of Barking on 7 April 1923. By the 1920s the cemetery was owned by United Cemeteries Ltd, but it was later purchased by Dagenham Borough Council in 1958/60. It is now within the new Eastbrookend Country Park. The cemetery has a garden of rest and, most unusually, an Apiary. There is little planting apart from cherry trees.
James Howson 'A Brief History of Barking & Dagenham' (LBBD Libraries Dept, 6th ed 1990); Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008), p146-7. See The Undertakers' Journal, September 1914, pp259-60, and September 1917, p247