|All Saints' Friern Barnet||Barnet|
All Saints' Church was founded in 1881 by John Miles of The Manor, Friern Barnet, whose son Henry was the first Vicar and was involved in creating the elaborate interior decoration of the church. The church is surrounded by a neat garden, with grass, flower and shrub beds, paved areas and seats, including a memorial garden made for Olive Mary Miles (d.1959). A War Memorial stands at the junction of two roads adjacent to the church.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2000
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
All Saints' Church, Garden. September 2000. Photo: S. Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
All Saints' Church is a flint-faced building with a fine stone spire designed by Joseph Clarke. It was founded in 1881 by John Miles of The Manor, Friern Barnet. Miles' son Henry became the first Vicar and he, together with S. Gambier-Parry, devised the elaborate interior decoration carried out between the 1880s and 1920s that can still be seen in the church today. The church is surrounded by landscaping, including a garden created in memory of Olive Mary Miles (1884-1959) 'who loved and worked for the children of this parish' according to the inscription on wooden gate to the side of the church. The church garden has paving, lawn, geometric-shaped flower beds and seating to the side of the building, with grass at the front and the area adjacent to Myddelton Road, and a War Memorial at the road junction. At the back of the church, leading to the garden, again grassed, with a row of lime trees.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998)