The Croft was built c.1898 by the successful Victorian architect T E Collcutt for his own residence, with formal gardens that contained a sculpture of a Triton by Henry Pegram. From the C17th and C18th onwards the area, with its fine views and relative proximity to London, gradually attracted wealthy people who built houses around Totteridge Green and along the east/west route of Totteridge Lane.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Croft was described as 'an excellent essay in the Olde English style' with the 'remains of formal gardens behind, with sculpture of a Triton by Henry Pegram' (Pevsner). Collcutt was a successful Victorian architect who built a number of houses in the area including Fairspeir also on Totteridge Green (q.v.) and The Lynch House on Totteridge Common (q.v.). In the C13th Totteridge was a hamlet, at which time it was known as Tatarige, which may refer to a family of the name of Tata who lived here. From the C17th and C18th the area, with its fine views and relative proximity to London, gradually attracted wealthy people who built houses around the Green and along the east/west route of Totteridge Lane, Totteridge Village and Totteridge Common. Development accelerated after the Great Northern Railway arrived at Barnet but Totteridge retained its rural aspect due to the Green Belt legislation and to local pressure. Totteridge Preservation Society was set up before World War II, and later Totteridge Manor Association took over management of the surrounding common and woodland.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998)