|Hendon Hall Hotel||Barnet|
Hendon Hall was built in the mid C18th, reputedly as the manor house of Hendon Manor, and once had extensive grounds. In 1765 actor-manager David Garrick purchased it and made alterations to house and grounds, including building a memorial to Shakespeare and a temple, neither of which survive. Subsequent owners made further alterations and it was twice used as a school, but in 1911 it became a hotel. By the 1930s much of estate had been built over, the Great North Way cutting off the house from the lake in 1926. The remains of the grounds at the back of the hotel have been laid out with lawns, gravel paths and ornamental beds, with perimeter trees and shrubs.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.handpickedhotels.co.uk/hotels/hendon-hall
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Hendon Hall, July 2000. Photo S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Hendon Manor is recorded in the Domesday book in 1086; it belonged to Westminster Abbey in the C10th and later to the Crown who in 1557 gave it to the Earl of Pembroke, William Herbert. The Herbert family held the manor until 1688, despite losing it briefly during the Civil War, when the Lord of the Manor fled with James II to France and it reverted to the Crown before being occupied by the Powis family. In 1765, the last Marquis having died without an heir, the manor was purchased for £13,000 by David Garrick, the famous actor-manager of the Drury Lane Theatre, who retained the lordship until his death in 1779. Garrick apparently did not live at Hendon Hall although he made alterations to the house and grounds, including the construction of a memorial to Shakespeare and a temple adorned with statues of the muses, neither of which are extant although the former (or latter?) survived until the late 1950s in Manor Hall Avenue. By 1828 the owner was architect Samuel Ware, who may have been responsible for adding the vast four-column portico allegedly from the house of the Duke of Chandos at Canons (q.v.), the parapet with balustrade and urns, and niched statues, reputedly from Wanstead House, which was demolished in the 1820s. During his occupancy mention is made of the presence of the two obelisks that remain in the hotel forecourt commemorating Shakespeare and Garrick.
For a time in the 1850s Hendon Hall was a girl's school with plays performed on the lawns on summer evenings. In 1869 it was purchased by C F Hancock, a London jeweller who was involved in the development of the area, where he built a number of large houses. He added north wings to Hendon Hall. In 1898 Hendon Hall was again used as a school. By the 1920s and '30s much of manorial lands had been built over, the construction of the Great North Way in 1926 cutting off the house from the lake that was once in the grounds.
In 1911 Hendon Hall was converted as a hotel, although during WWII it was closed briefly for use as an RAF convalescent home. OS Maps reveal that in the late C19th until at least 1914 there was a walled garden with green houses to the north of the hall, and by 1956 a swimming pool and tennis court were provided, located on the site of the earlier walled garden, paths and woodland. By 1969, although the swimming pool remained, a gated residential development called Hendon Hall Court had been built over part of the tennis court and garden, and a car park added. In 1966 the hotel gained fame as it was where the England football team stayed during the victorious World Cup campaign, due to its location near Wembley Stadium.
The remains of the grounds at the back of the hotel have been laid out with lawns, gravel paths and ornamental beds, with trees and shrubs around the perimeter, backed by a red brick wall. In front of the hotel entrance within the stable archway the carriage drive surrounds a raised circular lawn with ornamental planting and central sundial, with the two obelisks commemorating Shakespeare and Garrett either side of the roadway.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998); Hendon Hall Hotel information sheet