|Mill Hill Village Green||Barnet|
When the windmill further to the west along the Ridgeway ceased operating in the late C14th, the houses at the top of Milespit Hill became the centre of the hamlet of Mill Hill, due to the location on this important route to Hendon. However it was not referred to as a village until the mid C19th. The village green is an informal area of grass with two ponds. The Nicholl's Almshouses of 1696 face onto it as do a number of C18th and C19th properties including the former Methodist Chapel. The High Street was once part of The Ridgeway but in 1793 the main road was routed slightly further north in order to bypass the village.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2002
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.barnet.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Mill Hill Village Green, Pond and Methodist Chapel, September 2000. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
The site of the windmill is now The Mill Field (q.v.). Facing the Green are C18th and C19th properties such as The Welches, Hillside, Parkfield Cottages, and the former Methodist chapel.
Mill Hill Conservation Area Character Appraisal; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England: London 4: North' (Penguin, 1998)