|St Andrew's Churchyard and Burial Ground, Totteridge||Barnet|
St Andrew's Church has existed here since at least the C16th on the site of a much earlier church. It lies on the boundary of the medieval manor. The church was rebuilt in 1790, a plain brick building with a weather-boarded bell turret of 1706 from the older church. The churchyard was extended a number of times from the mid-C19th onwards and has numerous gravestones, chest tombs and monuments among grass, a lych-gate and war memorial. There are mature evergreens, including an ancient yew with 27 ft girth still standing. A second burial area is now located behind the old churchyard near the parish hall.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/08/2000
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.totteridge.church.btinternet.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St Andrew's Churchyard, August 2000, Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
St Andrew's Church has existed here since at least the C16th, on the site of a much earlier church. In 1250 a document records Totteridge Church as belonging to St Etheldreda's, Hatfield from whence it took its dedication. It appears that over time the dedication became corrupted to St Audrey's and by the late C17th century it became St. Andrew's. The church was rebuilt in 1790 by architect William Ketteridge, and lies on the boundary of the medieval manor. It is a plain brick building with weather-boarded bell turret of 1706, which came from the older church. The Parish of Totteridge lay within the Diocese of Lincoln until 1837 and then the Diocese of Rochester before finally coming under the jurisdiction of the newly formed Diocese of St. Albans in 1877. The interior has 2 paintings by Benjamin West who became President of Royal Academy, and also a Madonna and Child with Peter and Paul by Lorenzo Lotto given by Lord Rothermere in 1925 in memory of his mother who was a worshipper here although buried at St Marylebone Cemetery (q.v.); Lord Rothermere also enabled the creation of a public park in Southwark in his mother's memory, which is named after her, Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park (q.v.).
The churchyard has numerous gravestones, chest tombs and monuments among grass, and is surrounded by wooden paling fencing. The churchyard was the burial place of the C19th Lord Chancellor, 1st Earl of Cottenham, Sir Lucas Pepys, the physician to George III. There used to be fine elm trees here flanking the road, which have since died. An ancient yew with 27 ft girth still stands; in 1796 its girth was recorded as 26 feet. A foundling was discovered beneath the yew in 1722. At the entrance to the churchyard is a lych gate, and there is a war memorial for both world wars. Behind it is a second burial area reached down a tarmac road near the parish hall. This has a metal gateway leading to a rectangular site, then opening onto a square area; mature evergreens.
Arthur Mee 'The King's England: London North of the Thames except the City and Westminster' (Hodder & Stoughton Ltd, 1972); Diana Griffith, 'The Book of Totteridge' (n.d., 1990s)