The site comprises private houses and tower block built in the 1980s around the former Woodside House. Built by J. Baxendale in c.1841 it was described in 1850 as 'a beautiful villa with a pretty conservatory, in a setting of lawns, groves and a lake'. During WWII the Special Constabulary used the front room of the house as its station. It became the Woodside Home for Elderly Ladies and it remains a retirement home set in pleasant grounds that still include the lake. In Baxendale Close some very fine specimen trees including a Cedar of Lebanon are preserved, dating from the earlier landscape.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.woodsidehome.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Mr Baxendale was famous for his development of Pickfords. He is commemorated in the name of the Baxendale Close and has a memorial stone on the external wall of St John the Apostle Church, Whetstone, in front of which is a railed off area with square patch of grass. Baxendale Woodside Retirement Home is run by a charity and caters for 55 elderly people who are able to enjoy the grounds that include the lake.
Victoria County History Middlesex; S Gillies and P Taylor, 'Finchley and Friern Barnet', 1992.