|Barnehurst Golf Course||Bexley|
Barnehurst Golf Club was established here in 1903, on the former estate lands of May Place. The old mansion, built c.1480 but altered and extended over the centuries, had passed through numerous owners. In 1748 it was purchased by Miles Barnes, after whose family Barnescray and Barnehurst were named. In 1938 the house and golf course were purchased by Crayford UDC but the house was later destroyed in a fire of 1954. The new clubhouse was built on its site. Crayford War Memorial was unveiled here in 1954 set in a memorial garden.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bexley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The golf course was made in the heart of old May Place and the clubhouse, built c.1960, occupies the site of the mansion of May Place. May Place was built in c.1480 and was altered and extended over the centuries to become a large manor. The estate covered a vast area to the north and east and included the old Crayford Manor House, which subsequently became a farmhouse but retained the name of Crayford Manor. By the C17th May Place belonged to the Draper family whose monument is in nearby St Paulinus Church (q.v.). In 1694 the estate was purchased by Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell, who died in 1707 when his ship hit rocks off the Scilly Isles. In 1748 Miles Barnes, a cloth merchant, bought May Place and the family subsequently gave its name to nearby Barnescray (1800) and Barnehurst (1895). In 1903 a golf club was set up in the grounds and in 1938 Crayford UDC bought the golf course and the buildings. May Place was demolished after a fire in 1959 and the club house was built on the site. Old brick garden walls can be seen beneath the vegetation.
Barnehurst Golf Course is used for various activities. The golf course to the north and east is open to the public and there are footpaths for walkers around the edges of the greens. To the west the ground has areas for formal sports, areas of unkempt grass and scrub, areas of mown grass and woodland for informal activities. To the south Crayford Manor House survives and is used as a community and adult education centre. The area around the Manor House is used variously with formal gardens to the front (south) and sports grounds, including a bowling green, and allotments to the west and east respectively. Near the bowling green, Crayford War Memorial was unveiled in 1954, in commemoration of the dead of both world wars from the parish of Crayford. It takes the form of a memorial garden in which is a free-standing brick wall with 3 bronze plaques, one of which has lines from Laurence Binyon's poem 'For the Fallen'.
There is general public access to the grounds but visitors should be aware that it is a golf course. There are panoramic views across Barnescray, to the east, from the higher part of the site, to the north. The golf clubhouse was refurbished by Architecture Limited of Greenwich, and has extensive facilities for 350 people, new car parking within existing woodland, and some landscaping.
Darrell Spurgeon, 'Discover Crayford and Erith', (Greenwich guide books, 1995)