Bexleyheath Cemetery was founded by the Burial Board in 1876 and opened in 1879. Bexleyheath had grown up in the C19th as a new town along the main London to Dover road, which ran across the heath at Bexley. The cemetery has little in the way of mature trees or landscaping, although there is a small flower bed in front of the chapel. Paths are in a grid layout, with a serpentine element towards the centre. In 2001 a memorial garden was opened for cremated remains.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bexley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Bexleyheath Cemetery was founded by the Burial Board in 1876 and opened in 1879. Bexleyheath grew up in the C19th as a new town along the main London road to Dover, which ran across the heath at Bexley. However, Bexleyheath remained part of the parish of St Mary's Bexley (q.v.) until 1866 when it became a separate parish, and it was administered by the vestry until 1894 when Bexley Urban District Council was created. A chapel-of-ease had been built in 1835 on a site on what is now Oaklands Road, the land donated by John Smith of Blendon Hall, with an adjacent burial ground. Now largely built over, a few of the headstones remain today near Bexleyheath War Memorial but the chapel was demolished after the new Bexleyheath parish church of Christchurch opened in the Broadway in 1877.
The cemetery has little in the way of mature trees, although there are small Araucaria, dotted yew and holly, and a group of small Cedars. There is a small flower bed in front of the chapel, which was built in early C14th style by E Hodgkinson. Paths are basically in a grid layout, with a serpentine element towards the centre of the cemetery. Meller notes the surprising array of iron tomb railings. In 2001 a memorial garden was opened for the burial of cremated remains. The cemetery is linked with Christ Church by an avenue of semi-mature horse chestnuts. Although the cemetery has little landscape interest it does, together with a small adjoining park, War Memorial Gardens (q.v.), form a welcome green space close to Bexleyheath shopping centre. The two sites are separated by a low stone wall topped with wire mesh. A line of semi-mature limes line the inside of the wall.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer, 4th edition (The History Press), 2008