Erith Cemetery is on two adjacent sites either side of Brook Street. The eastern part opened in 1894 and the central brick-built Gothic chapel dates from this time. It is formally laid out and has a number of interesting monuments. The western part, also known as Brook Street Cemetery, opened in the mid 1940s and this part of the cemetery has little evidence of a designed layout.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2002
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bexley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The elevated position of the eastern cemetery provides a sweeping view to the north and a view of the River Thames can be glimpsed from near the chapel. Just beyond the entrance is a cross that commemorates seven of the thirteen men who lost their lives in an explosion at Slade Green in 1924. The eastern side is formally laid out and has a number of interesting monuments. The western side opened in the mid 1940s and this part of the site has little evidence of a designed layout, the area dotted about with flowering cherries. The site is separated from the road with railings and brick piers. To the east the site is slightly grander with a Lodge, and cherry, hawthorn, holly and Corsican pine dominate the site. Brick walls topped with railings form the boundary to Brook Street.
C Webb revised ed. of P Wolfston 'Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria', Society of Genealogists, 1994