Between Slade Green and Crayford Marshes is Howbury Moat, a moated site dating from c.900 that originally surrounded Howbury Manor House. Past Lords of the Manor included Bishop Odo of Bayeux, brother of William the Conqueror, who was given land for the part he played in the Battle of Hastings. In c.1480 a later owner, Roger Apylton (Appleton) built May Place in Crayford, now the site of Barnehurst Golf Course, and Howbury Manor was let to tenant farmers. Near the moat is an early C17th Tithe Barn. A new house called Howbury Grange was built for the tenant farmer in 1882 but was later condemned in 1934. In 2006 the moated site was the subject of a research project by the University of Oxford's Geography Department into techniques of Soft Wall Capping for preservation purposes, a project supported by EH.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.