London Gardens Online
Select by type
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

Alperton Cemetery Brent
   

Alperton Cemetery

Alperton Cemetery, June 2001. Photo: S Williams

> Enlarge picture
Alperton Cemetery was opened as Wembley Cemetery in 1917 and the first interment took place in 1918. The pair of chapels linked by a porte-cochère were built in 1937, a modest red brick building but having good stained glass in the burial chapel. The Columbarium was opened in the other chapel in 1942. The cemetery has paths laid out in a grid pattern, with a variety of trees throughout. There is a war grave section maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Alperton Cemetery, Entrance, June 2001. Photo: S Williams
> Enlarge
Alperton Cemetery, June 2001. Photo: S Williams
> Enlarge
Alperton Cemetery, War Graves, June 2001. Photo: S Williams
> Enlarge
Alperton Cemetery, June 2001. Photo: S Williams
> Enlarge
Previous / Other name: Wembley Cemetery
Site location: Clifford Road/Bridgewater Road, Alperton
Postcode: HA0 1AF > Google Map
Type of site: Cemetery
Date(s): 1917
Designer(s): Borough Surveyor for Wembley UDC (Cecil R W Chapman)
Listed structures:
Borough: Brent
Site ownership: LB Brent
Site management: Cemeteries and Mortuaries Service
Open to public? Yes
Opening times: 9am-4pm (Jan/Feb/Nov/Dec) - 5pm (Oct) - 6pm (Mar) - 7pm (April, Sept) - 8pm (May - August). Chapel opened for London Open House - 2000)
Special conditions:
Facilities: Toilets
Events:
Public transport: Tube: Alperton (Piccadilly). Bus: 79, 83, 224, 226, 245, 297, 487.
Alperton Cemetery, Entrance, June 2001. Photo: S Williams
> Enlarge
Alperton Cemetery, June 2001. Photo: S Williams
> Enlarge
Alperton Cemetery, War Graves, June 2001. Photo: S Williams
> Enlarge
Alperton Cemetery, June 2001. Photo: S Williams
> Enlarge
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.brent.gov.uk

Fuller information:

Alperton Cemetery was opened in 1917 during WWI, and until 1946 it was called Wembley Cemetery. It is sited between the Grand Union Canal and Bridgewater Road and backs onto Sudbury Golf Course. The first interment took place in 1918. The cemetery has a formal layout of paths in a grid pattern. The pair of cemetery chapels, linked by a porte-cochère , were built in 1937 at a cost of £4,700, designed by the Borough Surveyor for Wembley UDC. It is a modest red brick building with Portland stone dressing and a Welsh slate roof. The budget allowed for fine stained glass in the burial chapel, showing a fortressed city. The Columbarium was dedicated in the other chapel in May 1942. At the cemetery entrance are brick and stone gate piers, an area of beds with ornamental planting, and a lodge to the north. The cemetery has a variety of trees throughout, with lines of Lombardy poplar and avenues along the paths, including ornamental cherry trees. There is a war grave section maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and also a children's section. It was Winner of the Cemetery of the Year Award in 2007.

Sources consulted:

LB Brent Cemeteries Dept website; Ian Yarham, Meg Game 'Nature Conservation in Brent, Ecology Handbook 31' (London Ecology Unit, 2000); Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)
Grid ref: TQ174840
Size in hectares: 4
   
On EH National Register : No
EH grade:
Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
Registered common or village green
on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No
Protected under London Squares
Preservation Act 1931:
No
 
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
On Local List:
In Conservation Area: No
Conservation Area name:
Tree Preservation Order: Not known
Nature Conservation Area: Yes - Local Importance
Green Belt: No
Metropolitan Open Land: Yes
Special Policy Area: No
Other LA designation:
   

| Page Top |

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.
< Back