|Church Lane Recreation Ground||Brent|
Kingsbury Green became established as a settlement after the old village of Kingsbury was decimated by the Plague and largely abandoned. Kingsbury Green had long existed as public open space in the village but was lost when Church Lane was widened in 1924. Church Lane Recreation Ground, to the south of the original green and on the opposite side of Church Lane, was later provided for public recreation as the area was built over with suburban housing.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.brent.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Church Lane Recreation Ground, June 2001. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Kingsbury Green was a large area of public open space in the old village of Kingsbury until the 1920s when the area was still largely rural. The Plough, a pub on one corner of the Green, was on the site of a medieval tenement and in the C19th/early C20th was the headquarters for 13 cycling clubs. Kingsbury is referred to pre-Norman Conquest when Edward the Confessor gave a third of the fruit growing in his woods here to Westminster Abbey, and the old parish church of St Andrew's (q.v.) is one of the borough's oldest buildings. Kingsbury Green was lost when Church Lane was widened in 1924, and Church Lane Recreation Ground, to the south of the original green and the opposite side of Church Lane, was laid out by the 1930s. The small recreation ground is largely laid to grass with a perimeter path and trees, and some planting of conifers, with shrubs and roses near the site of a small pavilion on the eastern boundary, now demolished.
Adam Spencer, 'Wembley and Kingsbury: Britain in Old Photographs', Sutton Publishing 1995