Prior to 1857 the land here was open countryside owned by the Cator family. Adjacent to the parish church, the site of Beckenham Green was built over between 1857-90 when the railway arrived; one of the former buildings on the site was the Railway Hotel. In July 1944 major bomb damage was caused to the buildings and the site was cleared in 1946. It remained undeveloped until 1967, when it was grassed with a part dedicated for use by pupils of the adjacent school. In 2005 this area of public open space was renamed Beckenham Green. A small stage was erected in November 2007 for hosting local events.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2016
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Beckenham Green, 2013. Photo David Crossman
Click photo to enlarge.
The site that is Beckenham Green today was first built over between 1857-90 when the railway came to the area and Beckenham Junction Station was opened nearby. Further development took place between 1891 and 1939, and the site was completely built over with the Railway Hotel and houses on Church Road adjoining Beckenham Parish Church of St George (q.v.). In July 1944 major damage was caused to the buildings here as well as to the church by two VI flying bombs. As a result the site was cleared in 1946 and was used as an ad hoc car park while discussions took place within Beckenham Council about how it might be redeveloped. In 1965 Bromley was established as the new local authority and the land remained undeveloped until 1967, when it was grassed with a part dedicated for use by pupils of the adjacent Bromley Road Infants School; this remains a fenced-off area. In 2005 this area of public open space was renamed Beckenham Green as part of redevelopment of adjacent buildings given the same name. It is now a popular setting for wedding photographs; in March 2006 the St George's Churchyard Friends Group planted a mixed hedge of beech, holly and hawthorn along the border between the churchyard and Beckenham Green to create habitat for birds and insects. A small stage was erected in November 2007 for hosting local events. Beckenham Green is a largely grassed area with paths, benches and a number of trees, including a row of London planes along the northern edge, and a wilder area of woodland on the southern boundary with silver birch, small-leaved lime and horse chestnut trees. There are several formal flower beds planted with annuals and shrubbery on the southern edge.
Eric Inman & Nancy Tonkin, 'Beckenham'; Robert Barrowman, 'Beckenham: Past & Present'; Lewis Blake, 'Bromley in the Front Line' (3rd ed., 2005); Pat Manning & Cliff Watkins, 'The Story of Beckenham Green' (Jenna Publications 2008).
LPGT Volunteer Research by Peter Smith and Jeff Royce, 2009