Betts Park was opened in 1935 with horticultural features and recreation facilities provided with funding from King George's Fields Foundation. The park slopes to the south and is almost entirely surrounded by residential housing, some of it high-rise. Trees include mature oaks, pollard willow, holm oak, London plane and a mulberry, and there are remains of a shrubbery with holm oak, laurel and yew. Horse chestnut trees line a tarmac walk from Anerley Road south-west across the park. The brick base of a drinking fountain survives to the north and from this point there are views across the surprisingly wooded landscape of Croydon.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The King George's Fields Foundation was established following the King's death in January 1936 to provide a living memorial to him through the provision of playing fields. The main entrance to the park is in Anerley Road where there are modern gates. In the park are the remains of rockwork, largely made up from slag and broken concrete, and a tarmac walk down to and along one of the last remaining sections of the Croydon Canal, which is separated from the park by iron railings. The demolition of villas along Anerley Road since 1954 has exposed the park to the east. The children’s playground is enclosed within iron railings and a pavilion within it houses a private pre-school play group.
Inventory file 1995