|Bromley College of Further and Higher Education, Rookery Lane Campus||Bromley|
Bromley College of Further and Higher Education was established here as Bromley Technical College in 1959, the college campus set in extensive grounds that are vestiges of the C18th/19th landscape of the Rookery estate. The 1st edition OS Map of 1871 shows the estate and the college campus retains the same shape. Remnants of the former landscape include the lake, boathouse, fishing house, icehouse, and an oak clump in fields to the west of Elmfield House.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.ac.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Rookery was built in 1706 and the estate was for many years owned by the Norman family, who had substantial property in the area and who are commemorated in Norman Park (q.v.). Bromley Technical College was founded in 1959, although its origins date back to 1870 with technical institutes in Bromley and Beckenham. The new Bauhaus-style technical college opened on the Rookery Lane site in September 1959, the buildings designed by Kent County Council. It was renamed Bromley College of Further and Higher Education in 1992. In August 2011 the Bromley College joined with Orpington College to form one institution. The Bromley Campus has recently completed a £24m redevelopment providing commercial standard, state-of-the-art facilities.
Remnants of the former landscape include the lake, boathouse, fishing house, icehouse, and an oak clump in fields to the west of Elmfield House. The lake is now (2003) used by a private fishing club; hidden behind tall corrugated iron fencing access is only available for members of the club. Remains of a brick garden wall survive in the western corner of the college car park. Scrub oak woodland with remnants of railings is along a main path. A semi-derelict wooden boathouse and remains of the hexagonal brick fishing house survived in the late C20th but were not observed in 2003. Other properties covered by the present ownership on the 1st edition OS include Elmfield, Woodland, and Ravensbourne Lodge. Elmfield House, an early C18th red-brick house on the Common, has a cedar in the garden.
History of College on Bromley College of Further and Higher Education website