|Camden Park Golf Course||Bromley|
Camden Park Golf Course was established for the newly formed Chislehurst Golf Club in 1894 on part of the former C18th landscape park of Camden Place. The old mansion was converted as the golf clubhouse and there are vestiges of parkland planting although it was largely altered when the golf course was laid out.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.chislehurstgolfclub.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The site was once part of the C18th landscape park of Camden Place, much altered for golf course use. It was named after William Camden, a noted antiquary and historian, who lived here from c.1609 until his death in 1623. A new mansion was built shortly before 1717 by Robert Weston, and there were later additions to the house in the 1780s to designs by George Dance the Younger. It was owned from c.1760 by Charles Pratt (1714-94), Attorney General and later Lord Chancellor, who became Baron Camden of Camden Place and then Earl Camden in 1786. In the C19th it was the home of the exiled French Emperor Napoleon III from 1870-73, and his widow the Empress Eugenie remained here until 1885.
In 1890 the Camden Place Estate was purchased by builder William Willett Jun. who proposed to develop it as housing, an attractive proposition given that the areas was now well-served by good railway links. He developed two groups of high class medium-sized commuter residences mainly using Ernest Newton as the architect, one group of houses built on the Wilderness. The mansion and central area became Chislehurst Golf Club, which was established by a group of distinguished local residents at a meeting at Camden Place in May 1894. The golf course was opened by the Rt Hon A J Balfour on 21 July 1894 and the mansion was used as the club house. The golf course layout has been attributed to Harry S Colt.
The remains of a C19th lime avenue survives to the south of the house and there are several cedars around the house. There are vestiges of parkland planting, principally oak surviving, but the parkland was largely altered to make the golf course. There is a public footpath at the west end off Camden Park Road.
H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, London 1978; B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South', (1983, reprint 1999); history on Chislehurst Golf Club website