|Croydon Road Recreation Ground||Bromley|
In 1890 the Local Board purchased a 17-hectare meadow in Croydon Road next to the Cottage Hospital for a recreation ground. Croydon Road Recreation Ground was opened in 1891 and most of its original features are still intact, such as the ornamental entrance gates, lodge and railed bandstand. Soon after the new park opened, sporting activities became popular, which included cricket and bowls.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Early sporting activities included an annual cricket match held between the coachmen and gardeners of the local gentry, and bowls commenced as early as 1902. The park has good planting and path layout. Notable trees include beeches, horse chestnuts, cedars and ornamental conifers. Shrubs and railings are along the boundary with Croydon Road where the main entrance retains the ornamental gates and has a pretty lodge on Croydon Road. To the east of a cast iron drinking fountain is an oval area with paths around it. On the south side are tennis courts with a refreshment kiosk and a playing field occupies the eastern part of the site with flowerbeds near the eastern pedestrian entrance. Built features include a cast iron bandstand with surrounding railings of local rarity value, and a modern chinoiserie shelter.
H Jordan 'Public Parks 1885-1914', AA dissertation, 1992, p132; An A to Z of Bromley's Parks, Local Open Space & Woodlands, LB Bromley, 2007