|Cudham Recreation Ground||Bromley|
Cudham is an old settlement mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and the parish church may date from the C10th. The fields to the east of the church were used as a sports ground by the early 1930s, crossed by various footpaths, and with a pavilion, and by the 1960s also had tennis courts. On adjacent land to the east was the Angas Convalescent Home for Sailors, which had opened in 1918 as a branch of the Seamen's Hospital Society Dreadnought Hospital.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The recreation ground is adjacent to Cudham parish church of St Peter and St Paul's (q.v.), from which a footpath leads to the park. The main building of the sailors convalescence home had started life as the vicarage, a gothic revival building of the 1880s that was probably designed by Charles Innes. Marked on the OS Map of 1896 as Cudham School by 1909 it was marked as Towers House. It was purchased by Lady Angas and opened in 1918 as the Angas Convalescent Home for Sailors, a branch of the Seamen's Hospital Society, Dreadnought. Later an NHS residential institution it is now awaiting conversion to residential use. To the south of the church are Cudham Court Farm and Cudham Hall, the former manor house, together with a public house, The Blacksmith's Arms, and a post office, both marked on the first edition OS.