|Hayes Old Rectory Gardens||Bromley|
The largely level site was the garden of former rectory, now Hayes Public Library, and retains little of its pre-municipal character: specimen conifers including Wellingtonia and yews. Other specimen trees include three acacias and a group of three limes to the front. It was laid out as a public park in 1906 and forms a compact garden with rose garden and tennis courts around the library. The garden has flower, rose and shrub beds, with laurel hedges on the boundaries. The walls on the street side are topped with iron railings and there are matching ornamental iron gates.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Near to the entrance of the library is the Bromley millennium rock, a boulder of Lewisham gneiss from Lochinver in north-west Scotland. The metamorphic rock is over 2000 million years old and is one of the oldest rocks to be found in the British Isles. It was presented to the people of Bromley by the Highland Council to commemorate the Millennium Year. Bromley Council and Ravensbourne Geological Society were also involved in erecting the stone, which stands on a base of rounded pebbles set in concrete.
An A to Z of Bromley's Parks, Local Open Space & Woodlands, LB Bromley, 2007?