Landscaping and communal lawns to Hayesford Park, a modernist housing development built in the 1960s, with echoes of Garden City and Garden Suburb ideals. The first phase was built in 1960-63, laid out with generous planting. A good example is the hidden square between the larger flats of Fairacre, which were built in the last phase of the development in 1965; the central garden has mature trees and an ornamental pond at one end.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The northern part of Hayes was not developed until the 1940s, following the earlier development of the land to the south, which took place from the mid-1920s. Hayes remained rural until then, despite the arrival of the railway in the 1880s, development beginning in earnest after estates such as that owned by the Norman family began to be broken up and sold for building. The death of Sir Everard Hambro of Hayes Place in 1925 led to the sale of the estate land by his son, although the house remained until 1933.
B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South', (1983 reprinted 1999) p173; EH "London Suburbs", p22.