Keston Common had three fishponds constructed in early C19th to provide water to Holwood House. Two of the lakes are now used for fishing. The land was previously owned by Lord Stanley who in 1926 donated the ponds and an area of the common to the parish. Near the junction of Fishponds Road and Heathfield Road is Keston War Memorial commemorating local people who died in WWI and WWII.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
An earthwork on the common was possibly a cattle pound. Overlooking the common off Heathfield Road is Keston Windmill, an C18th post-mill, which according to its inscription was built in 1716, making it the oldest dated post-mill in Kent. It is a 3-storey black weather boarded structure on a brick roundhouse, with the stumps of the sweeps remaining and some machinery intact. Keston War Memorial is within a semi-circular hedged area with a conical yew tree either side. In Portland stone with a bronze wreath, the memorial was unveiled on 10 March 1920; it was designed by sculptor Sydney March, who also designed the Bromley Memorial.
B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South' (1983, reprint 1999) p.187-9