|St John the Baptist Churchyard, West Wickham||Bromley|
St John the Baptist Church, West Wickham, is a medieval church probably extended or partially rebuilt at the behest of Sir Henry Heydon (d.1504), who purchased the manor in 1469, building Wickham Court as his house. The churchyard has tombs set among grass with a number of trees, and a path leads to the church from the restored C15th lych-gate at the entrance.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stjohnswestwickham.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Leland refers to Sir Henry's building of 'a right fair Manor Place, and a fair Chirche' although there are C14th arches to the chapel. The ragstone rubble north chapel has stained glass windows with the Heydon Arms. The church has its late C15th windows throughout but has been much restored; in the mid-C19th the nave, north aisle and south-west tower were rebuilt in flint by Whichcord & Whichcord and the north chapel was remodelled in 1961. The lych-gate has a hipped tile roof, supported by vertical and cross struts, a pair of wooden five bar gates. Kent Archaeological Society has a transcription of memorial inscriptions from the churchyard taken on 1 August 1891 by Leland L Duncan, transcribed by Frank Bamping 5 March 2001.
B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South' (1983 reprint 1999) p195