|St John the Evangelist Churchyard, Penge||Bromley|
From 1837 Penge only had a chapel and was part of the parish of Battersea. In 1848 local landowner John Dudin Brown, who was also a freeman of the Company of Watermen, donated a plot of land for a new church and St John the Evangelist was built and consecrated in 1850. The church is surrounded by a garden with mature trees on the perimeter.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.penge-anglicans.org
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St John the Evangelist Church was built to designs of Edwin Nash and J N Round; its gabled aisles were added in 1861 and the transepts in 1866. The Watermen's Company appointed its first vicar, the Revd Joseph Ridgeway and the church is located next to the Royal Waterman's and Lighterman's Almshouses, which John Dudin Brown was also instrumental in providing, now surviving as private housing and known as Waterman's Square (q.v.). The nearby almshouses of St John's Cottages (q.v.) were provided by John Dudin Brown's daughter and were also designed by Edwin Nash.
B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South' (1983 reprint 1999) p.190; Ideal Homes: Suburbia in Focus website; History of St John the Evangelist Penge on church website