|St Mary Cray Churchyard||Bromley|
St Mary Cray is a flint church with some remnants of the C13th and C14th but the building was later restored in 1861-3, 1876 and 1895. Although the old village is much changed as a result of post-war development, the parish still includes farmland and open countryside, and the River Cray still runs near the church and its old churchyard. A Portland stone WWI War Memorial is in the churchyard.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. http://www.achurchnearyou.com/cray-st-mary/; www.bromley.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The old village of St Mary Cray is all but obliterated by post-war development. According to the 1852 directory: 'The Crays are four highly respectable villages and parishes contiguous to each other, situated in the lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, Hundred of Ruxley, and Union of Bromley, on the banks of the river Cray, in a beautiful and diversified country, interspersed with numerous elegant seats and noble mansions. On the River Cray are several paper mills, which employ a number of persons of both sexes. Each of the Crays has its parish church, but there is not anything remarkable about either of these edifices.'
Kent Archaeology Society has a transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions in the churchyards of Saint Mary Cray, as recorded on 13 August 1921 by Leland L Duncan, a noted author and antiquarian. For many years Mr Duncan visited the churches and churchyards of Kent churches and noted in his own shorthand the memorial inscriptions. Unfortunately he used 'a stub of a blunt HB pencil on cheap paper, which over 100 years later is sometimes hard to read. However, in the period which has elapsed, many of the inscriptions are now even more difficult to read which makes L.L. Duncan's efforts all the more valuable.' (Frank Bamping , writing on 12 December 2000).
B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South' (1983, reprint 1999) p192