|St Peter and St Paul's Churchyard, Cudham||Bromley|
St Peter and St Paul's Church is a medieval church, mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086, and may date from the C10th. In the churchyard are two ancient yew trees, one in the south west corner by the main entrance and the other in the south east near the chancel. One of these predates the church and may be around 1,500 years old, which suggests that the church may have been built on an existing burial site.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.pcd.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The old flint church was restored in 1846 and again in 1891/2. It has a Saxon-Norman nave, C13th chancel and south tower, and in the C14th a short north aisle was added to the nave and the south chapel added to the chancel. Cudham is mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086 and it is thought there has been a church here since the mid C10th. In 1976 the parishes of Cudham and St Mary the Virgin Downe (q.v.) were united. The Kent Archaeological Society has a transcription of memorial inscriptions in the churchyard taken by Leland L Duncan on 3 August 1919.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England, London 2: South, 1983 (reprint 1999) p183/4; St Peter and St Paul Cudham Church Guide (2009)