|Sir Robert Geffrye Almshouses||Bromley|
The Ironmongers' Company or Sir Robert Geffrye Almshouses moved from Shoreditch to Mottingham in 1912. The almshouses built here were probably modelled on Morden College in Blackheath, set back behind an area of lawn. The almshouse residents transferred to Hampshire in 1972 and they are now affordable housing run by Affinity Sutton, the estate now known as the Geffrye's Estate.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.affinitysutton.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Ironmongers' Company Almshouses were originally established in Shoreditch in 1715 following a bequest of Sir Robert Geffrye (d.1703), whose almshouses remain there as the Geffrye Museum (q.v.). The Company moved from Shoreditch to Mottingham in 1912, where these almshouses were built to designs of George Hubbard, probably modelled on Morden College in Blackheath (q.v.). Hubbard was the Ironmongers' Company Surveyor and also a resident of West Park. He also designed Mottingham's War Memorial, which was unveiled in 1920. The statue of Geffrye designed by John Nost in 1723 was erected on the garden side of the new almshouses, and Geffrye's monument with Baroque cartouche is also sited here. The almshouses housed 'ladies of restricted means', often retired governesses. In 1972 the residents were moved to Hook in Hampshire and the building passed to the GLC and later LB Bromley. The Council transferred all its housing stock, including the former almshouses, to the newly formed Broomleigh Housing Association in 1992, which is now part of Affinity Sutton.
Ideal Homes site www.ideal-homes.org.uk/bromley/mottingham; B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South' (1983, reprint 1999) p188.