Ampthill Estate is on the site of Ampthill Square, a garden square laid out in 1800 as a development of terraced houses around a crescent-shaped garden. Crossed by railway tracks from Euston by the end of the C19th, in 1912 part of the land and houses were purchased by the London Midland and Scottish Railway Company. The garden was then divided into two enclosures, one maintained for local residents of the square. Little remains of the original square today and the re-landscaped area is now overlooked by C20th tower blocks, although some mature trees from the earlier landscaping survive.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/08/2002
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.camden.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Ampthill Estate, August 2002. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Ampthill Square was laid out in 1800 as a development of terraced houses around a crescent shaped garden; it appears on the O.S. map of 1894 traversed by railway tracks from the adjacent Euston terminus which occupy 1/3 of its area, the northern section laid out with trees and serpentine walks. The site of the original square is subsumed within C20th landscaping. The land was purchased together with surrounding houses by the London Midland and Scottish Railway Company in 1912, when further encroachments were made. A portion was used for the railway extension, and the crescent shaped garden was divided into two enclosures, the smallest maintained as a shrubbery, the other 'a well-kept and attractive garden', which was accessible to the Railway Co. and leaseholders of houses in the Square. It was maintained by a committee of inhabitants appointed under the Metropolis Management Act of 1855 through rates levied by St Pancras Borough Council, which by an Act of 1804 were not to exceed one shilling in the £ on the rateable value. The leases of the houses expired in 1934 and the landscaping that remains is now a small unlevel grassy site overlooked by three Council-owned tower blocks on the north and east which it serves as a garden, and bounded by the railway to the south. Some mature trees from the earlier landscaping survive, including London plane and lime. Some improvements have been carried out with paths and decorative wooden fencing and a large playground. A few areas of bedding are planted between the blocks. In 2005 work began on a £19m regeneration project to the buildings, to include some re-landscaping works.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928