Antrim Gardens was formerly the site of tennis courts for Kingsley School, which was evacuated in WWII. The site was then laid out as a small public garden with lawn, shrub and flower beds and a children's playground. The garden contains two curiosities presented in 1945: a well-head made from the stonework of the old House of Commons, and a sundial made from a baluster from old Waterloo Bridge. Beyond the garden to the west is an area of allotments, divided by a low brick wall.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 09/06/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.camden.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Antrim Gardens, August 2002. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
A small garden on rising ground between residential streets of late C19th/early C20th design. The houses on Antrim Grove and Antrim Street originally formed one road and were built in 1897. The garden was originally the site of tennis courts for Kingsley School in Belsize Park until WWII when the school was evacuated, and the land was later laid out as a small public garden. Enclosed by walls and railings, it has an area of lawn with shrub-filled borders, two formal flowerbeds, a paved area and playground. Two curiosities were presented to the garden by Mr and Mrs Lionel Barnett in 1945, a well-head made from the stonework of the old House of Commons, and a sundial made from a baluster from old Waterloo Bridge. New playground equipment was installed in 1999. Beyond the garden to the west is an area of allotments, the two divided by a low brick wall.
M W Hammond, 'Camden's Parks and Gardens', LB Camden, 1973; Christopher Wade ed., 'The Streets of Belsize', Camden History Society Street History Group, 1991