|Cambridge Terrace and Mews||Camden|
This long narrow garden enclosure laid out as a shrubbery provided a common frontage to the 12 large houses of Cambridge Terrace facing Regent's Park. The Terrace was designed by John Nash as part of his plan of 1811 to develop the Crown Estate lands as a fashionable residential area, with the backing of the Prince Regent, later George IV. Authorisation had been given in 1794 for developing the land, once part of Henry VIII's hunting park but by then leased mainly as farmland, which was due to revert to the Crown in 1811. Cambridge Terrace was named after George III's son Adolphus, 1st Duke of Cambridge.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cepc.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Cambridge Terrace, July 2002. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
A long narrow garden enclosure laid out as a shrubbery forms a common frontage to the 12 houses of Cambridge Terrace that face Regent's Park (q.v.). The Terrace was designed by John Nash c.1825 as part of his plan of 1811 to develop the Crown Estate lands here as a fashionable residential area. Previously known as Marylebone Park it formed part of the royal hunting chase appropriated by Henry VIII in 1538 and remained so until 1646, and later used as farmland. At the end of the Civil War it had been sold by Cromwell to John Spencer but reverted to the Crown at the Restoration and was subsequently leased to various noblemen, finally the Duke of Portland, whose lease was due to revert to the Crown in 1811. John Fordyce, appointed Surveyor General of His Majesty's Land Revenue in 1794 was authorised to produce a plan for the area of Marylebone Park and various architects competed for the tender. On Fordyce's death the offices of Land Revenue were combined with those of Woods and Forests and the architects of the two departments were asked to produce plans. John Nash (1752-1835), who was official architect to the Commission of Woods and Forest and a friend of the Prince Regent, designed the layout of the park as it is today as part of his grand plan for London that was approved by the Treasury in October 1811. His plan had an avenue stretching from Marylebone via Portland Place and Regent Street to Carlton House Terrace and Gardens (q.v.), and included the 400-acre park was to be surrounded by palatial terraces and villas.
Cambridge Terrace was named after George III's son Adolphus, 1st Duke of Cambridge. The upper part of the north end of Cambridge Terrace was damaged in WWII but was later reconstructed after the original design in the 1980s. The houses now provide offices and flats.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; Peter Woodford (ed.) 'From Primrose Hill to Euston Road' (Camden History Society, 1995 ed); Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed)