|Elsworthy Road Enclosure||Camden|
This area was part of farmland held by the Provost and College of Eton since the C15th, which was developed in three phases from the 1840s onwards. Elsworthy Road was part of the third phase, and was developed by speculative builder William Willett between 1890 and 1911, largely the work of architects Harry Measures and Amos Faulkner and inspired by Arts and Crafts style. This small area of grass and a few trees formed a common frontage to a number of houses in Elsworthy Road. It was transferred to Hampstead Borough Council, and covenanted to be kept as ornamental landscaping.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/08/2002
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.camden.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
It was described in 1928 as 'a small crescent-shaped enclosure forming, with a private roadway, a common frontage to a number of dwelling houses. Enclosed by posts and rails and laid out as a grass plot with a few trees'.
Andrew Saint (introduction), 'London Suburbs', Merrell Holberton Publishers 1999; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928.