|Euston Square Gardens (East and West)||Camden|
Euston Square was laid out in the early C19th on the site of the Bedford Nursery Ground. It formed two rectangular strips either side of New Road, built as a cattle route to Smithfield Market and later renamed Euston Road. The southern side of Euston Square became Endsleigh Gardens in 1880 and only the northern part survives as a garden, enclosed by railings, with grass and mature London plane trees. Euston Station opened in 1837 and was enlarged over the next decades. The two lodges, inscribed with names of stations served by the London and North Western Railway, date from c.1870 and were once at the station entrance. They are now the only survivors of the formal 1870 layout, which was replaced by the new station in 1968.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 09/08/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.camden.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Euston Square Gardens, Lodge, September 2002. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Euston Square was laid out in the early C19th on the site of the Bedford Nursery Ground, as two rectangular strips of land either side of New Road, later renamed Euston Road, which was built in 1756, a cattle route to Smithfield Market. The name Euston comes from the Fitzroy family who owned land here who were the Dukes of Grafton and Earls of Euston. The southern side of Euston Square was renamed Endsleigh Gardens in 1880 and only the northern part survives as a garden in front of Euston Station, enclosed by mid-C19th cast iron railings with grass and mature London planes. It is bisected by a slip road and traffic island with a war memorial, and the two former entrance lodges to Euston Station. By 1928 the eastern area of the garden was let to the Council of St Pancras House of Fellowship and the western garden to the St Pancras Public Welfare Association.
Euston Station opened in 1837, planned by Robert Stephenson, whose statue by Baron Carlo Marochetti is now further north in the paved area by the station's new entrance. By 1838 the station had a double train shed designed by Charles Fox, decorative screen with two lodges and 72 foot high portico designed by Philip Hardwick and was enlarged over the C19th with grand hotels and a Great Hall by Philip Hardwick the Younger. The two Euston lodges date from c.1870 and, originally the entrance to the station, were built by J. B. Stansby, the company engineer for the London and North Western Railway. The names of stations served by the company are inscribed on the lodges and the pediments have reliefs with allegorical figures representing England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales by Joseph Pitts. The statue of Robert Stephenson was erected 1871 and was originally sited between the two entrance lodges, which are the only survivors of the formal 1870 layout of the station. The war memorial was erected and unveiled in 1921 by Reginald Wynn Owen for the LNWR, with a bronze wreath on each face and statues of a sailor, an infantryman, a member of the Royal Flying Corps and a gunner, and is dedicated to the 3719 men of the railway company who died in WWI. A later inscription commemorates those employees of the London Midland and Scottish Railway Company into which the LNWR had been absorbed.
In 1963 much of the original station including its Doric Arch was destroyed for a new station, which opened in 1968; offices were built between the station and Euston Road in 1976 and the station forecourt, hard landscaped in the 1990s, had a series of banners by artist Sue Ridge, with an earlier sculpture by Edouardo Paolozzi to the south. The two areas of garden have undulating ground, with grass, trees and shrubs with some planting by the path entrance from the east.
Survey of London; E Beresford Chancellor 'The History of the Squares of London: Topographical and Historical', London 1907; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928