|Fortune Green Open Space||Camden|
Fortune Green Open Space is a triangular site surrounded by mature London plane trees at the intersection between roads. It was opened to the public in 1897/8, the cost of acquiring the land split between London County Council and Hampstead Borough Council, who took on its maintenance. At the southern tip is a granite drinking fountain presented by Miss Miles in memory of her mother, erected through the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/08/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.camden.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Fortune Green Open Space, August 2002. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Commonland here was enclosed by the Lord of the Manor in the C19th, part of which was acquired by Hampstead Vestry for Hampstead Cemetery (q.v.). As a result of local protest, various attempts to build on the land in the 1880s and 1890s failed and it was purchased for public open space. Fortune Green Open Space was laid out and opened to the public in 1897, the cost of acquiring the land split between Hampstead Borough Council (£3,000) and London County Council (£3,027); it was maintained by Hampstead Borough Council. At the southern tip is a granite drinking fountain which was presented in 1897 by Miss Miles in memory of her mother, through the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association. Adjacent to the recreation ground is a pair of K2 telephone kiosks of 1927, designed by Giles Gilbert Scott. It is a triangular site surrounded by mature London planes and is at the intersection between roads; it was laid out largely as grass and bisected by tree lined paths, with games pitches and a playground. A dog area has been established on the site of former games pitches. Adjacent to the north is a privately-run Play Centre.
'The London County Council and what it does for London: London Parks and Open Spaces' (Hodder & Stoughton, 1924); M W Hammond, 'Camden's Parks and Gardens', LB Camden, 1973; Malcolm Holmes, Britain in Old Photographs, Hampstead to Primrose Hill, The History Press, 2009