|Goldington Crescent Gardens||Camden|
Goldington Crescent Gardens are an oval area enclosed by railings, with grass and tall mature trees, bisected by a serpentine path. The terrace of Nos. 5-12 Goldington Crescent was built c.1849-50 and the land was owned by the Duke of Bedford and a Mr A Wilkinson, each of whom owned half the houses of the Crescent. The gardens were provided for use of the occupants of surrounding houses, who bore the maintenance costs, but are now publicly accessible. A late C19th double cattle trough presented by the Metropolitan Cattle Trough and Drinking Fountain Association is situated to the north of the gardens. A new sculptural commission by Robert Worley, ARBS, was installed in the gardens in 2010.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.camden.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Goldington Crescent Gardens, July 2002. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Nos. 5-12 Goldington Crescent was built c.1849-50, the restoration of the terrace in the late C20th winning a Civic Trust Award. The land was owned by the Duke of Bedford and a Mr A Wilkinson, each of whom owned half the houses of the Crescent. Half the costs of maintaining the gardens were borne by occupiers of the Duke's houses, and half by occupiers of those of Mr Wilkinson. Goldington Crescent Gardens are within an oval area enclosed by railings with grass and tall mature trees, bisected by a serpentine path. In the late C19th a double cattle trough was presented by the Metropolitan Cattle Trough and Drinking Fountain Association and is situated just outside to the north of the gardens.
Survey of London; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928