|Hampstead Square Gardens||Camden|
Hampstead Square Gardens is a small triangular site within which a private garden has been created. A number of the surrounding houses date from the early C18th, and maps of 1762 show a rectangular grove here called The Square. The open space was used in the early C19th by strolling players and then by the Victoria Tea Gardens. In 1850 Christ Church was built here to serve the growing population of Hampstead, which had became too large for St John-at-Hampstead and the parish was sub-divided.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/08/2002
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The garden has hedging around the boundary and a number of trees. Planting includes flowers and shrubs, with a seat and paved area. Christ Church was built in 1850 by Samuel Dawkes on the site of the old workhouse garden and was consecrated on 30 March 1852. The West Gallery was designed by Sir Geroge Gilbert Scott in 1860, later removed in the 1960s. Former Prime Minister Clement Attlee was married here in 1922. The surrounding houses date from the C18th and C19th. Next to the garden, on the eastern wall of what was formerly a terrace of four houses on Hampstead Square, is a plaque commemorating Newman Hall, a Congregational minister and hymn-writer, whose widow adapted two houses of the terrace into homes for the aged.
Christopher Wade, 'The Streets of Hampstead' (Camden History Society, 2000)