|Mecklenburgh Square Garden *||Camden|
* on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens
The Trustees of the Foundling Hospital, established in 1739 by Captain Thomas Coram, purchased 56 acres in Lamb's Conduit Fields from Lord Salisbury and the Foundling Hospital, now Coram's Fields, was built by 1753. Samuel Pepys Cockerell was appointed to develop the estate surrounding the hospital, and his plan of 1790 had two squares. Mecklenburgh Square on the east was named after Queen Charlotte, formerly Princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz; it was designed by Joseph Kay with Cockerell as consultant, the houses built c1810-1820, the gardens laid out by Kay in 1809-10. The layout remains close to the original design with mature plane trees, ornamental trees, formal lawns and gravel paths.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2013
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. http:mecklenburghsquaregarden.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Mecklenburgh Square, June 2003. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Coram's Fields including Mecklenburgh Square and Brunswick Square: Site on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens, for Register Entry see https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list
Mecklenburgh Square and Brunswick Square (q.v.) were developed as part of the Foundling Estate. The Trustees of the Foundling Hospital, established in 1742 by Captain Thomas Coram, purchased 56 acres in Lamb's Conduit Fields from owner Lord Salisbury for £6,500 and the Foundling Hospital, now Coram's Fields (q.v.) was built by 1753. The Building Committee appointed Samuel Pepys Cockerell to develop the estate surrounding the hospital, whose plan of 1790 had two squares on either side of the Hospital.
Mecklenburgh Square on the east was named after Queen Charlotte, formerly Princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and was designed by Joseph Kay with Cockerell as consultant, Cockerell having fallen out with the Hospital Governers. The houses in the square were built between c1810-1820, with the gardens laid out by Kay in 1809-10. On the north side are early C19th cast-iron entrance gates and railings with square plan gate piers with moulded panels and roundels, surmounted by twisted lamp bases (lamps missing). The layout remains close to the original design with mature plane trees, ornamental trees, formal lawns and gravel paths. One section is devoted to New Zealand species.
The garden is now owned by Goodenough College whose London House is located on the square, and the garden is largely for use by overseas graduates of Goodenough College and of those residing in the square.
The Association of Bloomsbury Squares and Gardens was set up in 2012 as a forum for the local gardens, with a website www.bloomsburysquares.org.uk, which acts as a point of access for sharing activities, events and concerns. The gardens within the Association are: Argyle, Bedford, Bloomsbury, Brunswick, Fitzroy, Gordon, Mecklenburgh, Regent, Russell, Tavistock, Torrington and Woburn Squares (q.q.v.), and Marchmont Community Garden.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998); E Beresford Chancellor 'The History of the Squares of London: Topographical and Historical', (London, 1907); Survey of London; John Summerson, 'Georgian London' (1978 ed.); D J Olsen, 'Town Planning in London' (1982 ed.); Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928