|Regent's Park Terrace||Camden|
Regent's Park Terrace consists of 22 four-storey houses built c1840-50 in front of which is a private roadway and a strip of garden with a boundary wall to Oval Road. The garden was provided for the use of the tenants and lessees of the terrace, who paid an appropriate amount for its maintenance. It remains today much as it was in the early C20th, with grass, shrubs and mature trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Regent's Park Terrace, July 2002. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Regent's Park Terrace consists of 22 four-storey houses built c1840-50 in yellow stock brick with rusticated stucco on the ground floor and attractive ironwork balconies. Nos. 1-21 form a symmetrical façade, with the end houses projecting. In front of the terrace is a private road and then a strip of garden, which was provided for the use of the tenants of the houses. In 1928, this garden enclosure was in the ownership of the Trustees of Charles Oldfield deceased, and was maintained along with the roadway through proportionate amounts paid by the various tenants and lessees. At that time, the owners were against its permanent preservation as open space, which 'would entirely spoil the value of the whole of the freeholders' adjoining ground as a building site and would prevent their availing themselves of any future contemplated scheme for building over their private roadway and the enclosure (. . .) in the event of their deciding to pull down the existing houses on the termination of the leases etc., and erect on the site a block of residential flats which are badly needed in the neighbourhood.' In the event, the terrace remained with its strip of garden much as it was in the early C20th, with grass, shrubs and mature trees, bounded by a wall to Oval Road. The garden contains remains of a stonework feature.
Camden Listed Buildings website; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928.