The land was within the Prebendal Manor of Cantelowe, owned by the Canons of the Cathedral Church of St Paul since before the Conquest. In 1670 the lease was acquired by John Jeffreys, whose grand-daughter Elizabeth married Charles Pratt, (1713-94) who was later created Baron Camden. Camden and his descendents began to develop the estate for housing from the early 1790s and Camden Town was completed by the 1880s. Rochester Square was built by the 1840s and the central area was leased for use as a nursery ground. By 1928 it is described as having glass houses, enclosed by a low wall with railings and a thick privet hedge. This use was maintained into the early C21st and the last tenants were Strouds of London. It is a roughly square plot between the backs of two C19th terraces of Rochester Square, enclosed by a privet hedge and mesh fence.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928