|All Hallows London Wall||City of London|
This is part of the former churchyard to the medieval All Hallows Church; a church has existed on this site from c.1130, with a churchyard here by 1348. The north wall of the church sits on the Roman foundations of London Wall, the vestry on foundations of a Roman bastion. Part of the medieval remains of London Wall form one boundary of the churchyard west of the church, which was once railed. It is now a small raised public garden with a few trees and shrubs, paving, benches and raised flower beds along the old City Wall.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/openspaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
All Hallows-on-the-Wall Churchyard Garden, September 2002. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
A church has existed on this site from c.1130, with a churchyard by 1348. The parish had been united with that of St Augustine Papey, a C12th church on City Wall which was redundant by the early C15th when it became associated with the Hospital of Papey, later suppressed by Edward VI, its chapel demolished c1547-53. The medieval church of All Hallows was replaced in 1765-7 by the present building, the first church to be designed by George Dance the Younger, when he was 24. Damaged in World War II, the building was later restored in the 1960s; until 1994 the church was the headquarters and library of the Council for the Care of Churches.
The church flanks London Wall, and indeed the north wall sits on the wall's Roman foundations with the vestry on foundations of a Roman bastion. Part of the medieval remains of London Wall, so-called from the 1540s, forms one boundary of the former churchyard, now a small raised public garden bordered from the pavement by a hedge, and overlooked from the east by All Hallows church tower; it is formally laid out with York paving and a number of benches set into niches in the low wall to raised flower beds set along the old city wall, to east and west are shrubs and a few trees, tapering to the west to a point with roses and shrubs. It was once railed over the low stone boundary wall, the railings removed in 1765-7 when the church was rebuilt by Dance.
The church was damaged by a terrorist bomb in 1993, restored by 1995. From 2006, All Hallows was used for exhibitions by Wallspace, a charity set up by Meryl Doney and designed to explore the relationships between art and spirituality. The broad range of exhibitions demonstrated the richness, diversity and risk of contemporary work in this field.
B. Cherry and N. Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London Vol. l: The Cities of London and Westminster', London, 1985; Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.); leaflet: 'All Hallows London Wall. A short history by Christine Rees', 2000; London Diocesan Advisory Committee for the Care of Churches data