|Amen Court||City of London|
Amen Court dates from the C17th, when a range of houses was built for the canons of St Paul’s Cathedral close to the cathedral and within the City Walls, forming a quiet enclave situated to the north of Ludgate Hill. In the late C19th century, a new range of houses was constructed, the two terraces are separated by an enclosed private garden. Ave Maria Lane is so-called as a former processional route of the clergy,
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2014
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The entire group of buildings at Amen Court remains in residential use for the clergy of St Paul’s Cathedral and consists of the range of three houses built in the 1670s and six Queen Anne Revival houses designed by Ewan Christian dating 1878-80.The C17th and C19th buildings are unified by the use of red brick. There are groups of trees within the private garden, which is bordered to the south by a Ragstone and flint wall. Monument 1002068 London Wall: Section in Amen Court.
Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.); St Paul's Cathedral Conservation Area SPD, 2013