|Bank of England Garden Court||City of London|
The Bank of England dates from 1694 but did not have its own building until 1724; it has had a Garden Court since 1781 when, the Bank's premises needing enlargement, the Church of St Christopher-le-Stocks was demolished and its churchyard incorporated as a garden. As the Bank's business increased in the late C18th onwards, Sir John Soane was commissioned to further expand the buildings which he reconstructed between 1788 and 1827, his banking halls particularly famous. From 1916 the Bank underwent further rebuilding largely under Sir Herbert Baker, completed in 1939, during which the original position of the garden courtyard had changed to the present site. A War Memorial with a bronze statue of St Christopher by Richard R Goulden, 1921, stands in the current garden, which has lawns, trees and flower beds.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St Christopher-le-Stocks was the first church to be demolished since the destruction of many churches in the Great Fire of London and had stood here from at least the C14th with a tower either built or rebuilt in 1506. By 1666 there was a cloister around the north churchyard. The church was partly damaged in the fire and rebuilt by Wren.
F E Cleary, 'The Flowering City', The City Press, 1969; Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.); London Diocesan Advisory Committee for the Care of Churches data; Gerald Cobb 'The Old Churches of London', Batsford, 1942; Susan Palmer 'Rus in Urbe: The Garden at the Bank of England 1780s-1933', The London Gardener, vol 14, 2008-9