|Carter Lane Garden||City of London|
Carter Lane Garden was laid out post WWII on an area that had originally been intended for a traffic scheme south of St Paul's Cathedral. It follows the ground-plan of the pre-war buildings over whose bombed foundations it was formed. In 1955 a circular Information Pavilion built for the Festival of Britain in 1951 in nearby Festival Gardens, was re-erected in the north-west corner. This remained until 2007 when a new information kiosk designed by make architects was erected, at the same time as re-landscaping of the garden. It is divided into two areas either side of the wide paved path that forms the pedestrian route from St Paul's to the Millennium Bridge and Tate Modern.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2013
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/openspaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Carter Lane Garden, looking west, August 2009. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
The garden was laid out post World War II on an area that had originally been intended for a traffic scheme south of St Paul's Cathedral but did not get carried out. It follows the ground-plan of the pre-war buildings here over whose bombed foundations it was laid out. The circular Festival of Britain Information Pavilion, originally sited adjacent to Festival Gardens (q.v.), was moved to a site in the north-west corner of the gardens in 1955 and provided tourist information for the City of London. The garden is divided into two areas either side of the wide paved path running north/south, which forms the pedestrian route from St Paul's to the Millennium Bridge and Tate Modern. The west section was more informal and secluded from the traffic, at one time surrounded by rustic wooden fencing with grass, seating, a number of plane trees and perimeter shrubs, while the elongated triangular area to the east was laid out formally with a series of beds set into lawn with changing floral displays, and a number of ornamental trees. Adjacent to the garden on the corner of Peter's Hill to the south is the Fire Brigade War Memorial of 1991, with bronze figures by John W Mills.
Carter Lane Garden was re-landscaped in 2007 as part of the Carter Lane Quarter project, at which time the old information kiosk was replaced by a new pavilion designed by make architects, a striking angular structure clad in grey metal with golden-yellow soffit above the entrance, which won an RIBA Award in 2009. The garden has formal curved lawns and borders that reflect the form of the south transept of the cathedral. An elaborate Victorian drinking fountain, which was formerly located outside St Lawrence Jewry Church (q.v.) was also reconstructed in the garden, after many years in storage. Some further re-landscaping of Carter Lane Garden was undertaken in 2012 as part of a wider project to improve the setting of St Paul's and create a high quality public space reflecting the significance of this location. This included new seating, new planting and trees, enhanced footways paved in natural materials and public art.
Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.); F E Cleary, 'The Flowering City', The City Press, 1969; B Plummer and D Shewan, 'City Gardens', London, 1992; St Paul's Cathedral Conservation Area SPD, 2013