|King's College London Strand Campus, Maughan Library and Information Services Centre||City of London|
King's College London was founded in 1829, becoming one of the two founding colleges of the University of London in 1836. It now occupies 5 campuses, the original one being its Strand Campus. The Maughan Library & Information Services Centre opened here in 2001 on the site of the former Rolls Chapel founded in 1232, associated with the Master of the Rolls from 1377 and the location of the Public Record Office from the C19th until 1997. In 1912 the PRO acquired part of the garden of Clifford's Inn. After King's College moved here the PRO garden was re-landscaped as a Contemplative Garden of 'green rooms' designed by George Carter and includes a sculpture and water feature.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.kcl.ac.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
King's College London Strand Campus, June 2010. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
King's College London was founded by King George IV and the Duke of Wellington in 1829. Along with University College London (q.v.), it became one of the two founding colleges of the University of London in 1836. King's College London now occupies five campuses across London, that at The Strand being the original one, with others at Guy's Hospital, Waterloo, St Thomas's and Denmark Hill. Other college property includes the Hampstead Residence (q.v.). The Maughan Library is on the site of the former Rolls Chapel, which was founded in 1232 by Henry III for converted Jews, and became associated with the Master of the Rolls from 1377. The Rolls Estate was responsible for holding the government records and Rolls House, built in 1717-24, was replaced by the Public Record Office, built gradually from 1851-96 largely to the 1850 design of Sir James Pennethorne. In 1912 the PRO acquired land owned by Clifford's Inn, which abuts the site to the south. Clifford's Inn, the last Inn of Chancery, was dissolved in 1902 although the gatehouse remains on Clifford's Inn Passage off Fleet Street. After the PRO relocated to Kew in 1997, the former PRO garden re-opened in 2001 as part of King's College London Strand Campus, providing the Maughan Library & Information Services Centre.
New landscaping of the garden was undertaken in agreement with residents of Clifford's Inn, which is now private housing, to create a Contemplative Garden of 'green rooms' designed by George Carter. The design was designed to complement the main features of the adjacent building, and the planting of hornbeam, lime and yew provide historic continuity. The garden includes a sculpture by Dorothy Brook and a water feature. It was opened by HRH the Queen in 2002 and in 2003 won the London Spade awarded by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association. A series of relief plaques by Walter Crane are installed on a small brick building showing the Continents of Canada, Australia etc. These were formerly on St Dunstan's House of 1886/7 in Fetter Lane, which was demolished in 1976.
Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.); London Diocesan Advisory Committee for the Care of Churches data