|One New Change||City of London|
New Change Buildings, demolished in 2007, were built in 1953-60 for the Bank of England with a formal sunken garden facing Bread Street with C18th style fountains and lawns, crossed by a causeway leading to an internal central courtyard with a fountain, planting and C18th style lead cisterns. Bread Street was part of the City's market area, and was the site of the first C15th Hall of the Worshipful Company of Salters. The building was demolished in 2007 and the new scheme by Jean Nouvel was completed in 2010, with new pedestrian routes and public access to a rooftop plaza.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.onenewchange.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
New Change Buildings were built by the Corporation of London in 1953-60 to designs of architect Victor Heal in traditional rather than modernist style. This reflected prevailing opinion in the Corporation that sought to preserve the setting of St Paul's Cathedral in the post-war reconstruction through classically-conceived architectural form that soon appeared regressive. The first tenants were the newly-nationalised Bank of England. Facing Newgate Street, the symmetrical façade was planned to overlook a grand square with views of St Paul’s Cathedral, but this scheme, advocated in plans of 1941 and 1947, was later abandoned. The central courtyard, described as 'disastrously bleak' by Nikolaus Pevsner, had a plain fountain, some planting and a number of reproduction C18th-style lead cisterns, the area later largely used for cars and parking. Facing Bread Street was a formal sunken garden designed by Ernest Gillick that was formed in two parts of unequal size crossed by a causeway leading to the internal courtyard. Each part had lawns and a series of C18th style fountains, the central one in the larger garden area having a female figure dated 1959 by Ernest Gillick. The name of Bread Street recalls its function as part of the City's market area, and it was the site of the first Hall of the Worshipful Company of Salters (c.1475), which later moved to its present site on London Wall where it has a garden, Salters' Garden (q.v.).
In 2006, redevelopment plans for the site by Land Securities were approved and in 2007 demolition of New Change Buildings began. The new scheme, known as One New Change, was completed in December 2010, designed by French architect Jean Nouvel, working with Sidell Gibson as executive architects. Nouvel was selected through a design competition in 2003 and this is his first building in the City of London. The scheme includes the insertion of a pedestrian route that provides a new vista of the Cathedral, passing through the retail-lined ground floor from New Change to Bread Street, which is crossed by a second pedestrian route from Cheapside to Watling Street. In the centre where the two routes meet a lift provides public access to a new rooftop plaza.
Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.); F E Cleary, 'The Flowering City', The City Press, 1969; Pamela Buxton, 'Ways of Seeing' RIBA Journal, October 2009