|St Margaret Lothbury||City of London|
Lothbury is first recorded in connection with St Margaret's Church in the late C12th and probably derives from a family called Lotha. The medieval church was rebuilt in 1440, destroyed in the Great Fire in 1666 and the present church by Christopher Wren dates from 1683-9. St Margaret's is now sandwiched between two commercial buildings, the Overseas Bankers' Club of 1866 to the east, and the former Royal Bank of Canada of 1932 to the west. To the north what remains of the churchyard is a small secluded garden.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stml.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St Margaret Lothbury Churchyard Garden to north of church, September 2002. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Lothbury is first recorded in connection with St Margaret's Church in the late C12th and probably derives from a family called Lotha. The medieval church stands over the Wallbrook, which was arched over when the church was rebuilt as a larger building in 1440 largely paid for by Robert Large, who was Lord Mayor of London in 1439. Among those buried in the old church was Reginald Coleman (d.1383), the son of Robert Coleman who was probably the first builder or owner of Coleman Street. The church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and the present church of St Margaret's by Christopher Wren dates from 1683-90, with the tower completed by 1700. The parish was later united with that of St Mildred Poultry, a C12th church also rebuilt by Wren, which was demolished in 1872. The early C19th church organ was restored in 1984. Either side of the altar are wooden figures of Moses and Aaron that were originally in St Christopher le Stocks church, which was demolished to make way for the Bank of England, at which time its parish was united with that of St Margaret. St Margaret's Church is now sandwiched between two interesting commercial buildings, the Overseas Bankers' Club, built in 1866 for the General Credit Company to the east, and the former Royal Bank of Canada completed in 1932 to the west of the church.
St Margaret's Court is a small courtyard north of the church with Vestry and parish room built by H C Ingram, son of the rector, Revd A J Ingram, in 1908-10; W Rowlands Ingram, the same rector's brother, designed a screen in the south aisle of the church.
Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.); London Diocesan Advisory Committee for the Care of Churches data; George Godwin & John Britton 'The Churches of London: A history and description of the Ecclesiastical Edifices of the Metropolis, Volume II', London, 1839