|Salisbury Square||City of London|
Salisbury Square is on the site of the former forecourt of the large house of the Bishops of Salisbury, who had acquired the site in c.1200. In 1564 it was acquired by the Sackville family, later given the title the Earls of Dorset after whom nearby Dorset Rise is named. Although the square has some C18th housing, it was predominantly redeveloped from the 1960s onwards. The central area was laid out formally and is surrounded by cobbled roadway. It provides seating within a paved garden that has a raised bed at each corner planted with shrubs and small trees. In the centre is a granite obelisk that commemorates Robert Waithman, Lord Mayor of London in 1823-24. This was erected in Salisbury Square in the mid 1970s, but had originally been located in Farringdon Street.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/openspaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Salisbury Square with Obelisk to Robert Waithman, June 2010. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
Salisbury Square is on the site of the former forecourt of the large house of the Bishops of Salisbury, hence the name, who acquired the site in c.1200. In 1564 the Sackville family had the property, later given the title the Earls of Dorset after whom nearby Dorset Rise is named. Although the square has some C18th housing, No. 1 an early C18th house largely reconstructed and No. 12 a mid-late C18th house much altered, it was predominantly redeveloped from the 1960s onwards. In the centre of the square on a low circular plinth is a granite obelisk brought here in c1975 from Bartholomew Close, which prior to 1951 had been at the south end of Farringdon Street. It commemorates Lord Mayor of 1823-24 Robert Waithman (d.1833) and is the work of James Elmes. Surrounding the obelisk, the area is paved with seating and a raised brick planter forming each corners planted with shrubs and small trees, the road around this central landscaping is cobbled. Improvements were carried out in 1990 by epr Architects Ltd as part of the Corporation of London's City Challenge scheme.
Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.)