|Wardrobe Place||City of London|
Wardrobe Place is so-called after the King's Great Wardrobe, which housed the Crown's storage of clothing and arms. It was moved from the Tower of London to Lombard Street in 1311 and then in the 1360s to a house here that Edward III purchased from Sir John Beauchamp. The Wardrobe was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and the buildings in Wardrobe Place today date from the C18th and C19th. It is reached through an archway from Carter Lane, a paved courtyard laid out with a few trees and seats.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2002
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/openspaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Wardrobe Place, November 2002. Photo: S Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
A pleasant paved courtyard with 4 trees reached through an archway from Carter Lane, Wardrobe Place is so-called after the King's Great Wardrobe, which housed the Crown's storage of clothing and arms. The Wardrobe was moved from the Tower of London to Lombard Street in 1311 and then in the 1360s to a house here, which was purchased by Edward III from Sir John Beauchamp. The Wardrobe was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666, and a plaque on the site records this. in 1720 Strype observed that 'the Garden of the King's Wardrobe is converted into a large and square court, with good houses'. This subsequently became known as Wardrobe Place. The courtyard has a number of C18th houses including No. 2 built in the early C18th, Nos. 3 and 5 of c.1714 and Wardrobe House in the south, 1881. The east side has the backs of late C19th buildings on Addle Hill. The brickwork of No. 6 has the remnants of a painted sign, ‘Snashall & Son. Printers, Stationers and Account Book Manufacturers’, indicating the former use of the building.
Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.); St Paul's Cathedral Conservation Area SPD, 2013