|Addiscombe Recreation Ground||Croydon|
This small recreation ground is on former farmland acquired by Croydon Board of Health in 1905 and laid out as a public park by 1911. It was once part of the Ashburton Estate owned by the Baring family. The estate mansion used to be situated at the corner of Addiscombe Road and Northampton Road. The estate farmhouse was also on Addiscombe Road with a farmtrack alongside it known as Love Lane.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Addiscombe Recreation Ground is a small recreation ground dating from 1911 largely laid to grass and is now completely surrounded by houses. The land was acquired in 1905 by Croydon Board of Health under the 1875 Public Health Act and was previously farmland, like much of Croydon until development for housing changed the landscape dramatically from the early C20th. The site is shown on Thomas Bainbridge's Map of Croydon of 1800 as two fields belonging to A Adair Esq. It was at one time part of the Ashburton Estate, the country home of the Barings, who were heirs of the Barony of Ashburton. The estate mansion had been situated at the corner of Addiscombe Road and Northampton Road, and the estate farmhouse was also on Addiscombe Road with a farmtrack alongside it known as Love Lane.
MA Winterman, 'Croydon's Parks: Aan illustrated history' (LB Croydon, 1988), p8; LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008