|All Saints with St Margaret Churchyard, Upper Norwood||Croydon|
All Saints church was built in 1827-9 as a Chapel of Ease to Croydon Parish Church of St John the Baptist, established when Upper Norwood was becoming fashionable; the parish of St Margaret was added in 2003. In the churchyard is a memorial to Robert FitzRoy (1805-1865), who entered the Royal Navy at the age of 13 and was later notable as Captain of HMS Beagle in 1831-36, inviting Charles Darwin to accompany the voyage. He was also a noted meteorologist and former Governor of New Zealand.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Commissioners' church by James Savage built in 1827-9 as a Chapel of Ease to Croydon Parish Church of St John the Baptist; the tower and spire were added in 1841 and the chancel by Edwin Nash in 1861, west baptistery of 1952-4. West tower has pinnacles and recessed spire and flying buttresses; fine cast iron gates and gate piers to Church Road. The church was erected when Upper Norwood was becoming fashionable and large houses/villas were being built; the area further developed in the latter part of the C19th when the railway arrived. The church was badly damaged in WWII bombing and restored in 1954. In 2003 the parish of St Margaret Upper Norwood became part of All Saints, when St Margaret's became redundant.
In the churchyard is a memorial to Robert FitzRoy (1805-1865), who entered the Royal Navy at the age of 13 and later notable as Captain of HMS Beagle in 1831-36 for which journey he invited Charles Darwin to accompany the voyage. FitzRoy was awarded a gold medal on his return by the Royal Geographical Society; he later renounced Darwin's theory in The Origin of Species. He was Governor of New Zealand in the 1840s, and a noted meteorologist who developed advanced charts and instruments for accurately predicting the weather from the 1850s and early 1860s, publishing 'The Weather Book' in 1863, a Vice Admiral at his retirement, he committed suicide in 1865. The artist Camille Pissarro painted All Saints in 1871.
The large churchyard is shaded by numerous trees, including yew, conifers, rhododendrons with a holly hedge forming part of the boundary along Beulah Hill. There are a number of monuments and headstones in the grass, and some paths through the churchyard are now tarmac but the layout of path is much like it was in a map of 1868. An area in front of the church is now used for car parking.
B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South' (1983 reprint 1999; LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008